Thursday 31 January 2013

What is life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare

What is life if, full and care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass/

No time to see in broad daylight.
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life that is full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

William Henry Davies

I have put this poem up due to a couple of reasons.  When I went travelling I kept a journal and by the time I got to the 3rd one I had no more travel quotes left to write in it so I wrote this.  Whilst travelling it was easy to run round to try and see everything that sometimes you needed to have that time to stand and stare.  Even now one of the hardest things I find to do is to stop and relax.  Truly relax without thinking of doing anything else.  This poem when I think of it instantly makes me feel calmer and relaxed by reminding me sometimes we do need to just stand and stare to make the most of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment