Friday 11 January 2013

A little about me....

I posted up my first post but then a few days later realised if you were not friends with me you would wonder who on earth this person is.  So as my next post a little introduction to my world.

The basics.  My name is Nicola and I am 26 years old.  I live in Nottingham and on the verge of moving out again into a houseshare.  I am a supply teacher at the minute mainly in special needs school but I did not qualify as a teacher of special needs children.  I studied dance at University in York before going to Exeter University to train as a secondary school dance teacher.  I taught at a secondary school for two years before moving home in July 2010 to finish saving to go travelling.

I went travelling for 16 months in January 2011 mainly on my own and came back just before the end of April in 2012.  I had saved hard for 18 months to be able to visit South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand and South America.  I will probably explain more about my travels and some photographs as I write more on this blog.  I volunteered in Thailand for 6 weeks teaching English in the depths of Thailand, living with a Thai family and hardly anybody in the town was able to speak English.  I also worked in hospitality during my stay in Australia to pay for some of the trip after that.  Going travelling was probably the best decision I could have made and its made me the person I am today.  My dad died 3 months before I left but that was not going to stop me going as I know he would not have wanted it to stop me and I would have regretted it if I had not of gone.

Coming home though was probably as much of a shock as going away in the first place.  I moved back in with my mum and her boyfriend (plus his son for a few months) and it has been an up and down experience.  However having a normal life has it's own advantages.  I have been doing pilates, dancing, guiding and having a wardrobe are all positives.  You appreciate not sharing a room with at least 3 other people and not living out of a bag.

Tonight I watched World's Most Dangerous Roads in Bolivia and it just reminded me of how much I enjoyed travelling and what amazing things I saw plus all the memories photographs do not capture.  I felt like why did I even come home because it has been such a rocky ride since coming home.  I can only describe June as black, no other way to describe it.  However, since I have been home I have been doing a job I never expected to but am really enjoying it but so much has happened since coming back.  Another plus has been a reminder of how many friends I do have plus I have made some amazing lifelong friends through various different avenues over the last few months.  I have had to face a lot of things including my grief around my dad's death and some really hard times but I am coming through and hopefully 2013 is going to be better.  

So to sum me up I would say I am a little bit crazy, talkative, stubborn but caring and hard working.

No comments:

Post a Comment